Friday, April 17, 2009

Why Spongebob is like Twighlight? ...for me anyway.

When son #1 one was born I was committed to keep him away from junk. No junk food, no junk TV and most certainly no Spongebob. I mean really, a yellow square with an annoyingly high voice dancing around with an overweight starfish. Like I said, NEVER, NO WAY, NO HOW! Um well, fast forward 6 years and 2 more boys later. Blues Clues no longer holds son#1's attention not to mention the fact that the stupid yellow sponge everywhere. On lunch boxes, fruit snacks, just flippin' everywhere. So after "My 3 Son's" were tucked into bed Husband I sit down to what I know is going to be an awful waste of time. Heeee-heeee-heeee-heeee-heeeee. Spongebob Square Pants, Spongebob Squarepants, SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS! I was in love. He was humorous and my brand of humor no less. He is compassionate and a good friend and hard working. Dang so much the perfect man, um I mean perfect sponge. Not only do we approve but recommend in moderate dosage watching Spongebob.

Enter, Twilight. I have 3 gorgeous teenage nieces. Very much on trend. When I saw the girls reading a thick black book larger than our Bible I had to inquire. What's the plot who are the characters?? Okay mortal and vampire. Lost me. I was done with vampires ever since "Interview with a Vampire". Seriously who could totally top my list of actors I am most willing to suck my blood than Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt and Kirsten Dunst. So no more. Then Twilight the movie came out, still I resisted. The DVD on the shelves of the Safeway were at my every turn, yet I resisted. Woman of steel. While I strive to be a woman in the world yet not of the world, still I like a good love story as good as the next. I must know what the pull is to this movie. So boys including the one I married tucked into bed it was just me Bella and Edward. Skeptical that this was going to be of any quality I watched. The cinematography was pleasing to my eye and Edwards instant "hunger" for a relationship with Bella was captivating. The magic was there. Bella was the lamb and Edward the lion. Some of my new favorite love scenes are from this movie. DISCLAIMER - While I may elude to the fact that this could be an over sexed teen film, I assure you it is not. They took the high road on every level. No foul language. No premarital sex. So due to my new affection for this movie I will break my rule and now read the books. I hear they are even better than the movie. We shall see.

NOW MY CATHOLIC MOTHERLY ASSESSMENT - I realize that the movie is so captivating because Bella is so unconditionally loved. Not only by her father but her boyfriend as well. What woman doesn't want to be constantly and unconditionally loved. The good news is we ARE already totally captivating to our Heavenly Father. He loves us unconditionally loves us despite our imperfections.

1 comment:

Self & Co. said...

My daughter is terrified of Sponge Bob... I let her watch "Spirit" something "of the Cimarron"... I was laughing b/c he was so macho, and the Indian Paint he was intrigued with was so "sexy." I am so off Disney right now.